Thursday, July 26, 2007

Waffle wrapped Hot Dogs

So this is the last short note from the Kingdom of Thailand. A couple short thoughts since the last blog: You know how I said you can buy almost anything in Thailand.. particularly Bangkok... the photo to the left is a fuzzy little example of this that was on sale at the night market in Kachanaburi. Nice dress. Enough said. Of course Ben and I have been combing the city to find what we thought would be a simple enough quest: a raincoat for Ben. Didn't really need or want a furry bunny in a dress or a T-shirt with a man on a toilet with an I-Pod that says "I-Pood." Well we found one today, so all the moms can stop worrying, but it was the hardest purchase that we have made here in Thailand.

Ironically it has been raining here in the Kingdom, not often but with a certain fury when it does. As Ben and I just made it to the Indian Embassy to pick up our visas the skies opened and poured forth a mess that apparently was a bit much for the gutters to handle. Ben and I were left with the choice of soaking shoes or a small block of turf out front of the embassy to walk on. The whole thing got me thinking about those alternating sweat and sewage smells so prevalent in Thailand...Ben said he would just remove his shoes and wade across to get some coffee across the street. A small argument ensued, which I won (probably due to the fact that if lost he would spend the evening in an extremely small hotel room with a grumpy wife), with my not so meekly put point which was... this is Bangkok not the bush in Vanuatu! You have seen the streets and you are not walking barefoot through god knows what to cut your feet and get some strange infection!

I guess the fun thing about traveling is that you never know what the fun bit of strangeness will come your way. For instance, waffles are apparently a big thing here with street vendors selling them with a variety of sweets and toppings. I decided that I would purchase a "waffle on a stick" at the night market in Kanchanaburi. As I enjoyed what I thought would be a familiar taste I bit into a hot dog in the middle. Ben chuckled and asked how it was... I replied, still eating..."Taste like a hot dog with a waffle wrapped around it." Next post... Kenya.



-Jessica

No comments: